Children are surprised, in this snapshot, lining up outside the Main Building. In the background mister Agustín supervises the work of the teacher.
The AdelaidA Cup was won by Nohra Parra and Fred Jacobsen (right), who won against Clarita González and Hernando Trujillo (left) in a difficult match.
BUILDING OF THE CHAPEL
This is how the Brazilian-style naves of the Chapel of the Holy Apostles were erected, which was designed by the architect Juvenal Moya Cadena and which had the structural analysis of the engineer Guillermo González Zuleta, who managed to hold the gigantic stained-glass windows, made in the workshop of the French master J. Barillet, in a construction without internal support columns.
Aerial photograph of the school’s campus where it is seen that the naves of the Chapel do not yet have the beautiful stained glass windows that at that time were being designed in the Barillet House in Paris.
MONUMENT FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE
Prof. Bein gave it as a gift after working 25 years at school. It was designed by artist Alonso Neira Martínez. In this monument two children play with the immensity of an atom and next to it, framed, are seven figures that represent an allegory to the Gimnasio’s student.
The body of the Chapel waits anxiously and lonely for its soul, its stained-glass windows, to finally complete its long journey by boat from Paris.
The construction of the Chapel presented interesting challenges. One of them, raising the concrete membranes to consolidate the naves; and another, to specify the definitive structure to accommodate the stained glass rectangles that were designed outside.
This is the program of the comedy “El Burgués Gentilhombre” by Moliére, which was presented by the Drama Club that Don Oswaldo Díaz Díaz founded, and which was part of the 1955 theater season.
Spaniard teacher who came to the Gimnasio to teach Spanish and Literature. Academic, theater critic and writer.
POLO ON A DONKEY
A tradition that consisted of imitating the sport of kings but riding on donkeys. The field received the quadrupeds who were clumsily chasing a soccer ball, which was hit by the riders with brooms to the opponent’s arch.
THE BAND’S FOUNDATION
The students of the 1959 class created in 1957 the War Band that has prospered over the years and has become an icon of the Gimnasio. In the photo Luis Eduardo Laverde, its leader and the members of the time appear.
TO THE GUAJIRA
The students from the class of 1957 are on their way to La Guajira on the traditional jeeps excursion that the last-grade students made for several decades.
BOARDING SCHOOL’S SHIELD
On a black background appears, erotic and liberal, an I that accompanies a yellow snake that bites its tail, as a symbol of wisdom, eternal becoming and wealth. Created by the boarding school student Benjamín Barney-Caldas.
Mister Agustin shares with some of his grandchildren, the images of one of the books that he brought from Europe.
Interior of the dome of the Chapel, where different moments of biblical legends are written are erected in the colorful stained glass.
Ismael Blanco, G Gómez, Cecilia Garcia, Mejía, Lucy Pinilla, Vargas, Maria Teresa Lleras, Adolfo Urdaneta, Rosario Casas and Fernando Uricoechea, all actors from the zarzuela Similia Similibus who performed in the school theater in October and which was directed by Prof. Bein and Father Perdomo
This photograph shows how the Chemistry classes of the students from the last grade were. The teacher takes attendance and one by one the students respond, standing in their places.
The Espectador publishes this photograph in which mister Agustin appears leading the World Education Congress that took place in August of 1958.
HORSEBACK RIDING IN TABIO
The Prof. accompanied by teacher Herrera and a student, horseback riding in the neighboring paths of his farm “Las Vegas” in Tabio, Cundinamarca.
BOARDING SCHOOL STUDENTS
Since 1937 there were students that lived and slept in the school. This group of boarding school students in 1959 are accompanied by their Director, Enersto Bein.
HOMAGE TO YERLY
Former students of the Gimnasio Moderno, the Gimnasio Femenino and the Nuevo Gimnasio offered a tribute to Professor Henry Yerly for having been awarded the Cruz de Boyacá. Talking with Yerly is mister Eduardo Caballero Calderón.
Teacher staff that in 1959 tended to the needs of the Gimnasio
AT THE UNESCO
Agustín Nieto Caballero in the company of the members of the Advisory Committee on School Study Plans at a meeting convened by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization at its headquarters in Paris.
POOR PEOPLE’S PANTRY
Social projects have always accompanied the life of the Gimnasio. The students in this photograph collected “the little market” that their classmates brought, and then handed it over to the less fortunate, as is still being done through the Monsignor Emilio de Brigard Foundation.
The students get ready to go out in the green bus to one of the cultural visits that were programmed thanks to mister Agustin’s good deeds.
NOTE FOR THE FATHER
In front of the bus, Mister Agustín writes a note to greet the father of this student, who, wildly, parked his bicycle against the trunks.
Before the G and M of the Raqueta existed, the children laid in a circle to feed the pigeons. Mister Agustín and María Helena accompany this group of Montessori children in 1961 as they feed the birds.
The cover of the student magazine was dedicated to “Meus”. Nickname that his students affectionately gave him for his inclined British accent when pronouncing the word “most” in English classes.
After the end of classes and before dinner, the bparding school students used to play exciting games of ping-pong, on the table located outside the bedrooms, on the second floor of the Primary Building.
REHEARSING ON GRASS
The members of the War Band rehearse on the Cocuyo grass of the Montessori garden. Even the meadow shows the appearance of the pasture that it used to be.
ON A CAMEL
Two students had the privilege of knowing the pyramids of Egypt with the Prof. On the camel on the left, Álvaro Gutiérrez and in the center, Luis Montes.
Two students jump together above the “pommel horse” in Olympic Gymnastics class.